The main purpose of O.S.A. is to promote a scientifically sound and ethically sustainable approach to research.
Key objectives of O.S.A. are:
- Contribute to the dissemination of the human-based New Approach Methodologies (NAMs) within the scientific community, in line with the emerging paradigm of biomedical research of the 21st century;
- To illustrate to the public the advances of biomedical research without the use of animals (in vitro, in silico, etc.), through publications, management of online information channels, purchase of advertising spaces and in any other useful way;
- Strive to make the study of human-based methods compulsory in academic curricula;
- Contribute positively to the public debate on scientific criticism of animal experimentation, organizing conferences, meetings, workhops and any other public opportunity for discussion on the subject, useful to stimulate critical sense and dialogue;
- Provide scientific contributions on topics of interest (studies, publication of peer reviewed papers , presentation of posters, participation in scientific seminars, etc.) also in collaboration with other associations, organizations and institutions;
- Inform the public about the non scientific reasons why animals are still claimed as gold standard in biomedical research to study the human organism, despite the fact that there is more and more scientific evidence questioning their adequacy;
- Inform the public about the dangers of research based on inadequate models (both in vitro and in vivo) and the benefits that could result from a human-based approach;
- To raise the necessary funds to make the above activities possible and to be able to establish scholarships/research dedicated to human-based methods, funding for students, young researchers, etc.
The Association aims to provide the public, patients, journalists, policy makers, teachers and students with rigorous iand updated nformation on human-based biomedical research and NAMs, in line with the principles and strategies of the 21st century research paradigm.